Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The 7 Year Itch….



Since committing to the idea of getting Sisterlocks™ I have been totally obsessed with my hair. My hair is over 20 inches long and I plan to save 6-8 inches for installation. September 2009 marks the 7th year anniversary of my traditional locs. So why not make this anniversary count with a cut? I recruited an accessory to the event…..my sister Ree and a photographer my nephew Kam. We cut about 12 inches. I did the first cut so that Ree would not be to blame for any length mistakes. The end result?

After the big chop, I counted about 110 locs. I’m excited because that number will probably quadruple when I get my Sisterlocks™ installed. September will the month of new growth. I have about 2-3 inches of new growth now. One step closer! (Some shots were just for giggles!)

5 comments:

  1. oh wow, congrats on your journey. i cut my locks off but i cut them clean off, ha ha. i have an issue with patience :)
    great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I feel the excitement. Is that a genuine grey patch in your hair? That will look so good in sisterlocks. I also transitioned from traditional locs to SLS although I'd had them for 2 1/2yrs as opposed to your 7yrs - so your journey interests me. I'll be following your blog to see how it all goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes my grey patch is real. I get that question all the time. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I am definitely going to follow your journey, so brave and so exciting! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my third time trying to post a comment!! UGH!!! IF this goes through, please hide that vase of hair when I come to your house...it will freak me out!

    ReplyDelete