Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sisterlocks and Pipe Cleaners

So I’ve seen a few youtube videos about rolling sisterlocks on pipe cleaners and I was intrigued. So I went out and bought some. I found a pack of 25 at Michael’s for 99¢, so I bought 3 packs. I heard that I might have been able to get them cheaper at Wal-Mart, but I haven’t verified that information yet. I prepared 2 packs (50) of the pipe cleaners before washing my hair. I folded the pipe cleaner in half and formed a loop around my index finger. I then wrapped the two ends around one another until I reached the end. The loop makes the roller easy to hold and roll.

After banding and washing my hair, I began to take small sections of SLs and wrap them around the pipe cleaner (now turned roller). I started at the loop of the roller from the end of my hair. I rolled it in a spiral formation, because I was striving for a spiral type curl. I folded the end of the pipe cleaner over to secure it in place. It took a little more than an hour to roll my entire head. I did not sit under the dryer because I did my hair early enough in the day to let it air dry and I kept them in over night. Here are pictures of how my hair looked in the pipe cleaners. I ended up using 55 rollers.

FYI…I chose blue pipe cleaners because: 1. Blue is my favorite color :-) and 2. Whenever I use black rollers, bands, or any hair tool, they easily get lost in my jet-black hair.

The next morning when I was ready to get out and about I removed the cleaners. I did not just pull them out, I unwrapped each roller in a circular motion in an effort to preserve the spiral.

Here is what my hair looked like when I took the pipe cleaners out.

I separated each SL for a fuller effect. Unfortunately I had 2 casualties. I have only experienced lock loss in the front temple area. It was the same with my traditional locks. Not sure if there's anything to be done about that. :-(

  • The curls are really tight now, but I still like to outcome and I know it will look better as the days go by. I put a headband on for a different look.

    I think I found my new thing…..pipe cleaners!

    Notes for the future:
  • Colored pipe cleaners may not be a good idea. I am picking some blue fuzz out of my hair.
  • As my hair grows I may need to use more so I need to purchase more pipe cleaners.
  • When I make more, I will not fold them in half. At my current length, I still needed more room at the end of the pipe cleaner.
  • I may consider twisting 2 pipe cleaners together for a little thicker roller.


I will try to remember to take pictures as my hair gets older. I hear this style could last 3 weeks. We will see.


  1. I love the pipecleaner curls. I purchased mine at Michael's as well, but I chose black-because of possible lint. Before I used them, I rubbed them with my fingers to remove any "excess" lint. The curls come out great, and last a long time. Check out Chescalock's (I think I spelled that right) video for pipecleaner curls as well. Great hair, by the way!

  2. Hello again

    I like your curl with the pipe cleaners. I have used them in the past also and love them. My hair is very dense so last time I rolled I used a lot of pipe cleaners too but my hair (sorry no pictures) curled up extremely tight and it lasted me two weeks of fullness which I need; (oh I always tie my hair up at night). I did however use colored pipe cleaners with no fuzz, I unwind my individually because of my hair type.

  3. Your locks turned out beautiful!!! Great job!

  4. I love the pipe cleaners myself.
    My husband was in love with the look.
    I used a distilled water/SL moisture treatment mix.
    The next time I tried Motions hair foam.
    The SL moisture treatment/distilled water mix worked best.

  5. Your hair looks great! Can you please do mine?

  6. Chescaleigh

  7. Your hair looks great and thanks for the instructions on using pipe cleaners and where to buy. Maybe it's not a good idea to sleep in them. It could be the cause of weakening your SLs.

  8. I've been wanting to try something new. This is a great look and I really appreciate the information! I'm on my way to Michael's, LOL!

  9. @Evie.....I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and they had a pack of 100 for $1.97. So Wal-Mart is cheaper FYI.

  10. Your style looks great, and using the blue PCs show up better in the pictures. I tried it a couple of months ago and used black ones. Because my hair was only about 5 inches, I cut the PCs in half before twisting the ends together. The curls were very tight but it was a cute look. I'll try it again soon.

  11. Beautiful! I have done PCs and loved the result. There is a post on my blog. Click on the label cause it is an old post.

  12. hi IvyLeague what section did u get them from walmart???pls let me know.....also whoever got them from micheal's what section was it?please let me know.......thanks Ladies!!!

  13. @twshrm At Wal-Mart the pipe cleaners are found in the craft section. At Micheal's you can just ask some one there but I beleive I got them in the craft section too. Like where you find those google eye things people use to decorate sock puppets. :-D Best wishes on your trying the pipe cleaner set. I love it!!!