After banding and washing my hair, I began to take small sections of SLs and wrap them around the pipe cleaner (now turned roller). I started at the loop of the roller from the end of my hair. I rolled it in a spiral formation, because I was striving for a spiral type curl. I folded the end of the pipe cleaner over to secure it in place. It took a little more than an hour to roll my entire head. I did not sit under the dryer because I did my hair early enough in the day to let it air dry and I kept them in over night. Here are pictures of how my hair looked in the pipe cleaners. I ended up using 55 rollers.
FYI…I chose blue pipe cleaners because: 1. Blue is my favorite color :-) and 2. Whenever I use black rollers, bands, or any hair tool, they easily get lost in my jet-black hair.
The next morning when I was ready to get out and about I removed the cleaners. I did not just pull them out, I unwrapped each roller in a circular motion in an effort to preserve the spiral.
Here is what my hair looked like when I took the pipe cleaners out.
I separated each SL for a fuller effect. Unfortunately I had 2 casualties. I have only experienced lock loss in the front temple area. It was the same with my traditional locks. Not sure if there's anything to be done about that. :-(
- The curls are really tight now, but I still like to outcome and I know it will look better as the days go by. I put a headband on for a different look.
I think I found my new thing…..pipe cleaners!
Notes for the future:
- Colored pipe cleaners may not be a good idea. I am picking some blue fuzz out of my hair.
- As my hair grows I may need to use more so I need to purchase more pipe cleaners.
- When I make more, I will not fold them in half. At my current length, I still needed more room at the end of the pipe cleaner.
- I may consider twisting 2 pipe cleaners together for a little thicker roller.
PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS! THANKS FOR CHECKING ME OUT!
I will try to remember to take pictures as my hair gets older. I hear this style could last 3 weeks. We will see.